Timber frame is a well proven, versatile
construction method with the following key benefits:
- off-site construction method
- fast erection
- reduction in overall build programme
- reduction in risk of delays
- ease of project planning
- reduction in site storage requirements
- reduction in site waste
- timber is a sustainable building material
- choosing timber frame can help achieve a high BREEAM or EcoHomes rating.
Through early involvement of the timber frame specialist from project conception, an optimised design solution and build programme can be formulated. This digest follows the procurement and construction process, then describes the various elements of a timber frame and the main types of TF construction (platform frame, floor-to-floor panel frame, vertical panel frame, volumetric).
Three case studies describe the benefits experienced from using timber frame compared with traditional methods. 12 pages.