This information paper gives guidance on the optimum siting of micro-wind turbines above typical house roofs to maximise the wind energy potential and hence power output. Values of the wind speed-up factor are given for a range of heights and locations over the roofs. Examples of the methodologies for calculating the wind resources and annual power output are also given. It summarises the key points presented in detail in BRE Trust publication FB18. 6 pages.
- Mean wind speed measurements
- Turbulence intensity and turbine type
- Terraced houses
- Effect of surrounding buildings
- Selecting the optimum location for a roof-mounted wind turbine
- Determining the wind resource for wind power calculations