by Stuart Matthews (01-Oct-2014)
NOTE: THIS IS A DOWNLOAD - FOLLOW THIS LINK TO PURCHASE THE PAPER VERSION.
This book aims to provide an understanding of the complex set of phenomena governing durability and long-term performance of concrete structures and how these form a basis for service life design. While consideration is given to concrete as a material, the focus is on the behaviour of the concrete structure and its interaction with its environment.
The book will not only assist the designer to improve the future durability performance and reliability of concrete structures, but will also assist engineers involved with the assessment, maintenance and extension of life of existing concrete structures.
The content in the book is also incorporated into a separate publication from fib (the International Federation for Structural Concrete) and is published in this separate volume to make it more widely available to concrete specialists and engineers worldwide.
2. Overview of the service life design, construction and through-life care process.
3. Through-life performance, life-cycle cost and sustainability.
4. Mechanisms that may cause deterioration or damage to concrete structures.
5. Some factors influencing the durability of concrete structures.
6. Environmental aggressivity.
7. Recommendations in standards and codes of practice.
8. Overview of modelling of deterioration processes.
9. Factorial approach to estimating service life.
10. Service life design process and considerations.
11. Measures to enhance resistance or avoid reinforcement corrosion.
12. Measures to enhance resistance and avoid deterioration.
13. Influence of some design, execution and workmanship issues on durability.
14. Construction quality issues: the role of the project execution specification.
15. Improving durability:benefits of pre-construction planning and trials.
16. Condition control: planned through-life structure management and care.
17. Monitoring of durability and performance.
18. Examples from practice.
19. Future look: potential developments influencing service life design.
Appendix: Examples of plans supporting execution management.
246 x 189 mm, 420pp